Improperly abandoned wells can be sources of nitrate and other pollutants in groundwater. This risk can amplify when other wells are operating in the area. To protect groundwater, the Department of Water Resources (DWR) published standards in Bulletin 74 (74-81 and 74-90) for well construction and destruction (or abandonment). Local environmental health agencies are responsible for implementing standards that meet or exceed DWR standards. In most jurisdictions, permits are required to construct or destruct a well. A fact sheet is available here.

The following local agencies are responsible for well destruction/abandonment and permitting within the SSJV MPEP area. For specific well construction and destruction requirements in your area, contact your local agency.

Fresno County
(Unincorporated areas only.)
Department of Public Health, Environmental Health Division
1221 Fulton Mall
Fresno, CA 93721
Phone: (559) 600-3357

Kern County
Public Health Department, Environmental Health Programs
2700 M Street, Suite 300
Bakersfield, CA 93301
Phone: (661) 862-8700

Kings County
(All areas except the City of Hanford, City of Lemoore, City of Avenal, and NAS Lemoore.)
Community Development Agency
1400 W. Lacey Blvd, Building 6
Hanford, CA 93230
Phone: (559) 852-2670

Tulare County
Environmental Health Services Division
5957 South Mooney Boulevard, Second Floor
Visalia, CA 93277
Phone: (559) 624-7416